The Ghent University through faculty of Law and Criminology has opened it application portal to suitably qualified candidates for a PhD Research Position. The PhD student will be expected to investigate the rights of the individuals in the context of secondary uses of health data for research purposes in the view of the applicable regulatory frameworks.
The PhD researcher will be based at the Faculty of Law and Criminology at Ghent University, and will be also part of the interfaculty Metamedica Platform. For more information about the Metamedica platform see: https://www.metamedica.ugent.be.
Key Scholarship Details
These are some of the key details about the ongoing Ghent University PhD Research Position:
- Job Type: PhD Research Position
- Host Institution(s): Ghent University, Belgium
- Study Level: PhD
- Benefits: 100% Occupancy rate
- Slots: Several
- Nationality: International Student
Details About the Ghent University PhD Research Position
The PhD student will be investigating the rights of the individuals in the context of secondary uses of health data for research purposes in the view of the applicable regulatory frameworks.
In particular, the PhD researcher should identify and assess the relevant provisions in applicable regulatory frameworks in the EU, including the GDPR, upcoming Data Governance Act and the European Health Data Space, which can strengthen the rights of the individuals when their data are being processed for research purposes.
This legal analysis should be based on the relevant theoretical framework on the principles of transparency, fairness and lawfulness in processing of health data.
Eligibility Criteria for the Ghent University PhD Research Position
To be eligible for Ghent University Faculty of Law and Criminology PhD research Job, applicants are expected to meet the following conditions:
- You have a master degree in Law or a relevant discipline
- You have a passion for research and strong analytical skills.
- You are willing to familiarise yourself with interdisciplinary methodologies in health privacy research and follow literature in bioethics, health and data protection law, and health informatics.
- You have an impressive track record (study results, publications and/or awards)
- You are able to work independently and take initiative, yet you are also a team player.
- You have high organisational skills, and able to meet the deadlines.
- You have excellent written and oral communication skills in English.
- Existing educational, research or professional background in EU data protection law and/or health law will be an asset for this position.
How to Apply
To apply for the Ghent University Faculty of Law and Criminology PhD research Job, applicants are required to Submit the following documents by email to Prof. Mahsa Shabani ( firstname.lastname@example.org):
- Motivation letter
- A writing sample (publication, research essay, master thesis, …)
- Copy of diploma’s
Important Note: All required documents should be merged in 1 single pdf-file.
Application Deadline: May 31, 2022