In collaboration with the National Research Foundation (NRF) in South Africa, the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) is awarding funds for Master and PhD degrees at South African Universities to South Africans citizens or permanent South African residents as part of its In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Programme.
The NRF-DAAD In-Country Scholarship which is targeted at applicants who would like to gain research experience in South Africa and Germany is jointly awarded by the DAAD and the NRF is for full-time Master and PhD students in South Africa in all fields of study at any South African university.
Key Scholarship Details
These are some of the key details about the ongoing NRF-DAAD In-Country Scholarship;
- Scholarship Sponsor(s): DAAD/NRF
- Host Institution(s): South African Universities
- Study Level: Masters
- Scholarship Worth: Full Funding + Other Benefits
- Number of Awards: Several
- Nationality: South African
Eligibility Criteria for the NRF-DAAD In-Country Scholarship
The interested applicant should be enrolling for a Master’s or PhD degree studies at any South African Universities
A South African citizenship or a permanent South African residency is a requirement for the scholarship.
Applicants must be 32 years of age or younger in the year of application.
Benefits of the Scholarship
NRF-DAAD In-Country Scholarship holders are eligible for exciting funding and networking opportunities in addition to the scholarship they have received for their full-time Master or PhD degree in South Africa:
- Scholarship holders are eligible to apply for a short term research stay to Germany.
- Scholarship holders are eligible to apply for one of five interdisciplinary summer schools offered in Germany during their funding period:
- University of Frankfurt– Environmental and Remote Sensing Data Analysis via Geospatial Technologies in Research and Teaching (29th August – 7th October 2022)
- Hamburg University of Applied Sciences (HAW Hamburg) –Education and Research orientated Training in Health Sciences (1st August – 23rd September 2022 – part-time)
- Heidelberg University –Enhancing Academic Qualifications in Teaching and Research in Global Health (15.07.-14.09.2022 – part time)
- University of Applied Sciences Cologne (TH Köln) –Climate Change Adaptation: Risk Assessment and Design of Interventions (CC-Adapt) (15th August – 15th September 2022)
- University of Leipzig –Innovators, Doers and Entrepreneurs [at] summer school (IDEAS) (Part 1: 27th – 1st July 2022; Part 2: 25th – 29th July 2022; Part 3: 17th – 28th October 2022; Virtual Conference: 9th – 11th November 2022)
- The DAAD Information Centre Johannesburg invites 50 – 70 scholarship holders to take part in a networking conference in South Africa each year
How to Apply
For a smooth and successful application, interested applicants should refer to the Manual for the NRF Connect System for applications. And access the NRF-DAAD Online Application Submission System to start application.
Application Deadline: 8 July 2022