University of Bonn Argelander Scholarships 2022: The University of Bonn is currently offering the Argelander Scholarships for doctoral candidates from universities in Latin America, Asia, and Africa. Candidates who are interested are invited to apply for the award which offers the opportunity for research stays in Bonn (3–12 months) for doctoral students of the named regions.
The aim of the scholarship is to provide funding for doctoral candidates from countries in Latin America, Asia, and Africa in order to promote scientific exchange with partners, particularly in regions that have been relatively marginalized in terms of scientific production and also to promote international cooperation in the priority regions indicated in the partnership strategy.
Key Scholarship Details
These are some of the key details about the ongoing University of Bonn Argelander Scholarships 2022:
- Scholarship Sponsor(s): University of Bonn, Germany
- Host Institution(s): University of Bonn, Germany
- Scholarship Type: Fully-funded
- Study Level: PhD
- Scholarship Worth: See Award Benefits
- Number of Awards: Several
- Nationality: Africa, Latin America and Asia
Details About The University of Bonn Argelander Scholarships 2022
This funding line is intended to intensify collaborations between scientists in Bonn and their partners in the above – mentioned regions, and expand such collaborations with respect to the promotion of early-career researchers.
When the application is submitted, a formal or informal cooperation agreement should already exist between the home institute of the doctoral candidate and the host institute in Bonn. The host researchers in Bonn act as applicants.
Please note that the application may only be submitted by a professor of the University of Bonn. You are welcome to submit your application documents in German or English.
Who is Eligible to Apply
- Preference is given to international doctoral candidates pursuing a doctoral degree at a university or a research institute in Africa, Latin America or Asia.
- Recipients of funding should finish their doctorates at their home university (to avoid brain drain).
- Doctoral candidates who are already pursuing their Ph.D. at the University of Bonn are not eligible for funding.
Benefits of the Award
- A travel allowance (depending on country of origin)
- A scholarship of € 1,500 per month (additional funds for accompanying family members: up to € 300 for a spouse and € 250 per child)
- A research expense allowance of up to € 300 per month that can be submitted to the International Office after the scholarship has been awarded. Information on applying for the allowance will be provided with your scholarship award.
How to Apply
The application must be submitted by a full-time professor from the University of Bonn. Up to two applications per host/professor can be considered. The doctoral candidates must submit a signed motivational letter.
The Application should include;
- Online form
- Project description (PDF of max. 8 pages), consisting of:
- An outline of the research project to be worked on during the person’s stay in Bonn;
please write your proposal for a multidisciplinary audience
- Reasons for the host to invite the doctoral candidate
- An outline of how the doctoral candidate will be integrated at the host institute (place of work, participation in the institute’s teaching and research activities), and an outline of how the project will be supervised in Bonn
- CV and motivational letter of the doctoral candidate (PDF)
- A financing plan (please use the following Excel table, download here)
Application Deadline: May 1, 2022